Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Merry Christmas!

Christmas celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ. Celebrated by millions of people all over the world, it's the festival of happiness and benevolence as people share presents with each other. The festival has a special importance in the lives of kids as myth says that a celestial figure called Santa Claus blesses them with gifts and presents.

I too have a vivid memory of Christmas of my childhood. I along with my friends and our respective mothers were returning from school. It was when a Santa Claus standing outside a Cake shop waved his hand to us and thus beckoned us to him. We too happily went to him, wished him A Merry Christmas and received our respective presents from him. It was a moment of joy for all of us after all who doesn't like receiving surprise gifts? I was four then and was in the Junior Kindergarten.

As I grew older and went to the primary school, another fable spread amongst our friends. It said, “A Santa Claus comes to your house on the midnight of Christmas and keeps a secret gift for you. You just need to keep socks tied to your bed so that the Santa Claus can put the gift there.” Being a curious kid, I tried my hand here too. Next day saw the socks filled with a gift. It was an Audio Cassette (In those days we did not have CDs or MP3). My happiness knew no boundaries. This ritual continued for many years and never did it happen that my socks were empty.

 As I grew older, I realized that this Secret Santa Claus who had blessed me with the presents was none other than my Father! (Who even today remains to be a Santa Claus for me.)

Today, at 26, with God’s blessings, I am earning and on this occasion of Christmas I too gift my near and dear with gifts and presents just to see that one broad smile on their face. When alone I too ask the Santa Claus for gifts and blessings but with the age the demands have changed. The inclination is not towards the materialistic gifts but towards health, happiness and well being of me and my loved ones. After all they say that if one is healthy, one can achieve all the mental and material happiness.

So, here I am wishing you and your loved ones A Healthy Christmas, a Merry Christmas!

(And yes, we here in India, at times tend to fall in the boundaries of caste, creed and religion and thus fail to enjoy the moments of happiness which life has to offer. So, move out of your borders and go celebrate after all ‘हर त्योहार मनाना एक अच्छा Idea है’)



  

1 comment: